Heater only system (if equipped)
Fan speed control
Controls the volume of air circulated in the vehicle.
Temperature control knob
Controls the temperature of the airflow inside the vehicle. On heater-only systems, the air cannot be cooled below the outside temperature.
Mode selector control
Controls the direction of the airflow to the inside of the vehicle.
- (Panel) - Distributes
outside air through the instrument panel registers.
- - Outside air is shut out
and the fan will not operate. For short periods of time only, use this mode to prevent undesirable odors from entering the vehicle.
- (Panel and floor) -
Distributes outside air through the instrument panel registers and the floor ducts.
- (Floor) - Distributes
outside air through the floor ducts.
- (Floor and defrost) -
Distributes outside air through the floor ducts and the windshield defroster ducts.
- (Defrost) - Distributes
outside air through the windshield defroster ducts. It can be used to clear ice or fog from the windshield.
- In humid weather, place the climate control system in Defrost (
before driving. This will reduce fogging on your windshield. Once the windshield has been cleared, select any desired position.
- To reduce humidity buildup inside the vehicle, do not drive with the climate control system in the OFF position.
- Under normal weather conditions, your vehicle's climate control system should be left in any position other than OFF position when the vehicle is parked. This allows the vehicle to "breathe" through the outside air inlet duct.
- Under snowy or dirty weather conditions, your vehicle's climate control system should be left in the OFF position when the vehicle is parked. This allows the climate control system to be free from contamination of outside pollutants.
- Do not place objects under the front seat which may interfere with the airflow to the rear seats (if equipped).
- Remove any snow, ice, or leaves from the air intake area (at the base of the windshield and underneath the hood).
- Do not place objects over the defroster outlets. These objects may block airflow and reduce your visibility through the windshield. Avoid placing small objects on top of the instrument panel. These objects can fall into the defroster outlets and block airflow, in addition to, damaging your climate control system.
Do not place objects on top of the instrument panel, as these objects may become projectiles in a collision or sudden stop.
Radiator grille - removal and refitting
Pre-1988 models Removal 1 The grille is held in position by four spring clips (see illustration). 10.1 Radiator grille spring clip - pre-1988 models 2 Once these clips are released, the grille ...
Auxiliary air device - removal and refitting
K-Jetronic system Removal 1 Disconnect the battery earth lead. 2 Disconnect the wiring multi-plug and the two air hoses from the device which is located beneath the cold start valve (see illustra ...
Air cleaner - removal and refitting
Removal 1 On CVH models, disconnect the battery negative lead. 2 Remove the screws from the top of the air cleaner cover (see illustration). 3.2 Air cleaner securing screws (arrowed) 3 Disconn ...